What is Music Together®?
(Canta y Baila Conmigo®* is part of the Music Together Family. Our CyBC teachers are Music Together trained.
We hope to be able to offer this program again after the pandemic.)
Since 1987, Music Together has made the case for research-based family classes to nurture each child’s natural musicality in a playful, musically rich learning environment. Music Together has introduced millions of children to beautifully produced, curated song collections and has gotten families and caregivers singing a with the help of trained teachers who have mastered best practices for song presentation. Our research-based music classes are non-formal and non-performance oriented, so your child can learn at their own pace, in a way that’s developmentally appropriate.
By enrolling in our children’s music program, you’ll experience a whole semester of online classes and get a beautifully produced book, downloadable recordings and access to a bottomless pit of online resources. You’ll learn new songs and music activities to inspire you to bring music into your family’s everyday life. The songs get stuck in your head! And after experiencing the class with your child, you won't be able to stop yourself from singing! You might surprise yourself at mealtime, at bath time, on the way to the park, and at bedtime. And you might employ songs and games in your parenting and to help you get through your day. Before you know it, your child will delight you with shows of musicality when you least expect it.
We Teach the Way Children Learn
At Music Together, we know that children learn differently than adults. They learn instinctively and constantly, and teach themselves through imitation and play, through being immersed in their environment, and through interaction with adults and older children. The family-like setting of Music Together classes creates an ideal learning environment. And it’s all based in research in early childhood and music development.
Learn about the research behind Music Together at the Music Together Worldwide website.
1) get the grown-ups singing and dancing both in class but especially at HOME! (check out the HELLO EVERYBODY app for your smart phones and tablets on iTunes and Google Play!) Your role is essential
2) get the kids watching and listening
3) inspire the kids to experiment and explore
4) stimulate and support children's natural musical development
5) get all children to Basic Music Competence (singing in tune and expressing an accurate beat) (Canta y Baila Conmigo aims to support a child’s whole language acquisition of Spanish through immersion.)
Music Together has NINE carefully crafted music collections and 3 summer compilations. Canta y Baila Conmigo consists of 4 collections and 3 summer compilations to date. Both programs send the music and a book home with families so that the listening and learning can continue outside of class. Included in the registration price for Music Together: an app for devices, a code for digital downloads of the music and access to a family web-portal where you can wonderful extra content (art projects, games, activities, articles, videos and more), a CDs, a book entitled, "Music Together at Home: Helping Your Child Grow Musically" and a Songbook.
1) Begin and end with ritual opening and closing songs
2) Include rhythmic chants
3) Include songs without words
4) use songs with short, repeatable phrases
5) use the music in its entirety, because research shows that children learn whole songs
6) make use of AGE APPROPRIATE props - accessible to infants, toddlers, and bigger kids
7) include opportunities for both creative play and lightly choreographed activites
8) rely heavily on adult participation -The modeling of adults is essential to the musical development of the children --regardless of their own musical ability. So everybody has to sing and dance, and don't worry(!) about how well you do it- your child just needs you to love them and to model the activities with joy!
Music Learning Supports All Learning®
Wiggling, singing, and laughing with your child is so much fun, it's easy to forget how much learning is taking place! Our research-based curriculum not only develops music skills, it nurtures creativity, self-expression, and confidence while also supporting social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development. Because these benefits build over time, children enjoy the fullest growth in each of these areas when they participate as consistently as possible up through kindergarten.